Samothraki: The Island of the Great Gods
Explore an unknown, mysterious and enigmatic island in the northeastern part of the Aegean Sea!
Samothraki is a magical, mysterious and enigmatic island in the northeastern part of the Aegean Sea. It is the island of the Saos or Fengari mountain and a place of fascinating natural beauty and mystical ambience. On this journey we explore this magnificent paradise and trace back the ancient history of Samothraki’s Sanctuary of the Great Gods. In the archaeological site of Palaiopoli we discover how the ancient Greeks performed the rites and rituals of the Kaveiria Mysteries to worship the Great Gods of the sky, nature and sea.
We explore the wild natural beauty of Saos, one of the highest mountains of the Aegean. Local people call it Fengari, which means Moon, as it is so high that it often hides the moon. This spectatular mountain offers unique natural treasures, dense vegetation, abundant springs and numerous waterfalls. Brooks and streams that originate from mountain Saos, on their way to the sea often form waterfalls, as well as “vathres”, which resemble natural pools in the rocks and will surely entice you to dive into their icy, crystal waters. In our journey, we will also visit the island’s thermal hot springs, the pebbled beaches and the rivers with the countless plane trees. We will also taste traditional local delicacies and the famous goat of Samothraki.
Key highlights of this journey:
– Explore the archaeological site of Palaiopoli, the Sanctuary of the Great Gods
where ancient Greeks used to perform the rituals of the Kaveiria Mysteries
– Walk through the footpath of the river of Fonias and visit the medievalcastle at the beach
– Visit to Hora of Samothraki with its picturesque little alleys and its medieval castle
– Thermal hot springs in Therma village and beach of Kipoi
– Walk the footpath towards Gria Vathra waterfalls
– Admire the magical view in Profitis Elias village and taste the famous goat of the island
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat, light jacket.
Here is a map with the places we visit during this half day tour