Walking trip through beautiful Messinia region
Discover Messinia’s hidden treasures and hike through magnificent lanscapes!
Nowhere else in Greece, the authentic Mediterranean landscape can be represented so clearly as in Messinia, maybe the most beautiful region of the Peloponnese. During this 3days trip we discover Messinia’s hidden treasures: we explore the magnificent Temple of Apollo at Bassae, we hike through the gorge of Neda river and walk the historic trails and footpaths of Outer Mani.
The famous Temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae dedicated to the god of healing and the sun was built towards the middle of the 5th century B.C. in the lonely heights of the Arcadian mountains. The temple, which has the oldest Corinthian capital yet found, combines the Archaic style and the serenity of the Doric style with some daring architectural features.
At the foothills of mount Lykaion lay the springs of a beautiful “female” river called Neda. The river is a natural boundary between Ilia and Messinia. According to Greek mythology Neda was a nymph, a goddess of water and she was one of those who nourished Zeus. The gorge of river Neda is a natural wonder of the Messinian countryside. The constantly varying landscape, the lush, the turquoise waters and the majestic cliffs, make the crossing of this gorge an unforgettable experience.
At the southeastern corner of Messinia we discover a land decorated with towers. It is Mani or outer Mani as the locals call it. Proud and magisterial, like mount Taygetos which stands from above is characterized by beautiful stone made villages and dramatic variations within its landscape. It is the land of stone and olive trees, the place of galore sunshine, the wide blue sea and air that smells of wildflowers and herbs.
Key highlights of this journey:
– Exploring the famous Temple of Apollo Epicurius at Bassae
– Overnight at picturesque village of Ambeliona
– Hiking at the beautiful Neda gorge with its lush vegetation and turquoise waters
– Discovering the historic footpaths of Outer Mani from Kardamyli to Petrovouni and Proastio
– Enjoying a healthy picnic with flavours of traditional local food
Customize this trip!
This trip can be customized to your personal travel wishes! To learn more about the trip and enquire about prices, please fill in the form and our team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
DepartureHotel or airport pick-up!
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat, light jacket.
- Accommodation in hotels or characterful local guesthouses with breakfast
- Experienced guide specializing in hiking tours
- Private vehicle throughout the tour
- Picnic in Mani
- Information material
- Liability Insurance
- All applicable taxes
What's not included
- Personal expenses
- Entrance fees to museums and archaeological sites
- Food, drinks and beverages if not mentioned above
- Anything not specified in the “what’s included” section