Discover the wine making tradition of Nemea
A full-day tour from Athens exploring the wine making region of Nemea in the Peloponnese.
The heart of the wine region of Nemea was known in classical antiquity as ‘the Land of Phliasia”, and its wine was popular to an ‘international’ audience who flocked to the ancient Nemean Games, one of the most important events in Greek antiquity. Over the years, Phliasion wine became known as Agiorgitiko, “dark, strong, the best wine in Moria” as found in many foreign travelers’ journals of the 18th and 19th century.
Today, Nemea is the largest zone producing Protected Designation of Origin wine in Greece, and its rich vineyard cultivation proves why Homer called it Ampelóessa, meaning “full of vines”.
Key highlights of this journey:
– Visit to the archaeological site of Nemea, the impressive Stadium and the museum
– Learn about the making of one of the oldest indigenous grapes in Greece, the Nemea – Agiorgitiko
– Meet with the vine makers and learn about the wine making tradition
– Taste awarded wines by visiting local vineyards
– Taste local delicacies made by pure grape syrup, petimezi produced from Agiorgitiko grapes
– OPTIONAL: Wine Tasting Dinner with premium wines from the area of Nemea, at an old house garden, in Kifissia.
Customize this tour!
This tour can be customized to your personal travel wishes! To learn more about the tour and enquire about prices, please fill in the form and our team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Departure Time9:00 AM
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat, light jacket.
- Private vehicle throughout the tour
- Experienced tour leader
- Wine-tasting experience
- Guided tour by wine expert to vineyards
- Lunch at one vineyard
- Tasting delicacies made by petimezi
- Information material
- Liability Insurance
- All applicable taxes
What's not included
- Personal expenses
- Entrance fees to museums and archaeological sites
- Tour guide for the archaeological site (available upon request with extra charge)
- Wine tasting dinner with premium wines
- Food, drinks and beverages if not mentioned above
- Anything not specified in the “what’s included” section